Friday, November 21, 2008

Week 12 Readings

The video discussing Wikipedia was very interesting. I think a lot of people shy away from it because of the open accessibility. Especially in academics, students are being taught that it is not a credible source to research basic information. I thought the operation discussed was actually very interesting and more organized than one would think. For example, I thought it was cool that changes are documented and looked over immediately and that you can see the changes made in red... I think people should take more time to learn about something like Wikipedia before jumping to their own conclusions based on what is pretty much heresay...

The two articles were neat in that its always interesting to see new things libraries can do to benefit their patrons, in this case through easier access to helpful databases and information through wikis...

2 comments:

sanda said...

Hi Micquel,

It seems that you enjoyed Wales’ video very much. I did too. I found it very interesting and informative. Taking into account that most people, including scholars, do not consider Wikipedia as a reliable source, I find it rather interesting how their website was among the Top 50 Websites, more popular than The New York Times. I believe Wikipedia is actually heavily used by all of us whether we admit it or not.

I hope you are doing well. 

Sanda Silaghi

Jenelle said...

Hi Miquel,

I agree with you that people should learn more about Wikipedia before they judge it. For a while I was a little bit timid to use it - I heard so many bad things about it from my professors. But I think the main thing to realize is to balance your sources out, do your own research if you feel that there is not something right about Wikipedia. Plus, with all this "free time" we'll have during break - maybe we can clean up a few articles with all these wonderful skills we learned through our first semester as MLIS students :)

I haven't talked to you since the trip to Pittsburgh. It was nice to "really" meet you and get to know you a bit. I hope your trip home was better than coming in to Pittsburgh :) Take care!