Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 3

Operating Systems

This week’s readings discussed the operating systems that are in our future. Linux, an implantation of UNIX, has been around the longest and seems the most complicated to me. Luckily it has come a long way in being user friendly, rather than just being for the experienced. Checking out some of the web sites that give examples of how Linux will look on the desktop (http://kd.org/screenshots/) I think it looks really neat! I like how the setup is easy to see all your windows at once and then have the one you want zoom in for you when you click on it… Mac OS X (Leopard) is also UNIX based and it looks very similar. I don’t have a Mac, but I like the looks of Leopard, especially the new additions like the Finder feature that lets you search through your files like your itunes…

Windows Vista is also moving in the same direction, though they’re already talking about releasing Windows 7 in a few years…

I should probably be embarrassed that I haven’t actually upgraded to any of the systems that we read about this week… still using XP… but I think the new looks are very appealing and, just like anything else, one familiarized with navigation using them would be fun!!!

3 comments:

Megan1 said...

Linux does sound really impressive, but I still think it would be more than I could handle to set up for myself. I would love to watch someone install the Linux OS to a computer to get a visual of how it is done and how the different components of the system work together.

I just had to respond to your blog. Anyone who quotes Doc has to be a great person!

Nicole Plana said...

I was actually really impressed that Windows 7 seems to be designed with the consumer in mind, building off of Vista.

If it makes you feel any better, I am also still using XP...

Monica said...

I have Vista on my new laptop but minus the desktop gadgets and it just looking cooler, I would not be able to list the differences between it and XP. I guess I just use my computers for very basic tasks (the most exotic being creating torrents) so differences in operating systems aren't that important to me. That said, my brother offered to put the most user-friendly version of Linux on my laptop (I'll be able to choose between using it or Vista at start up) and I might take him up on it just to learn more about this stuff. Reading your post and others have helped a great deal.