Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 6

I really appreciated the articles and the youtube video explaining networks. I like being able to have a listing of all the different networks for future reference.

The article I enjoyed the most was K. Coyle's "Management of RFID in Libraries." Working in the circulation area of a library everyday, I tried to invision the changes we'd undergo to switch to the RFID system. I can see both the advantages and the disadvantages of having the RFID system in the library. I really like the security feature of the RFID with the alarm being able to tell what is checked out and what isn't... also the added benefits to making inventory a whole new story all together!!! I don't like the idea of having self checkout stations set up though... I think RFID could improve the efficiency of the library operations without having to completely eliminate all social interaction! Plus... has anyone tried the self-checkout at WalMart or Tops??? You always get stuck behind someone who doesn't know what they're doing and the whole operation takes sooooooo much longer than just going through the regular line... I'm all for change, but lets not get carried away :)

3 comments:

Nicole Plana said...

I immediately thought of the self check-out process as well! I can't even count the number of times I have been behind someone at CVS or IKEA who has never used the self check-out. I think this just goes to show that the role of the circulation librarian, while it may change, will still be necessary.

Elizabeth G. said...

Micquel,

Nice to meet someone else who works circulation! I will tell you though, the security alarm is good in theory, but has it's problems in practice. The public library I work in has one and that stupid thing is always going off, especially when people have books from different libraries that have different sensors or when little kids are playing near the gates with books that haven't been checked out. Half the time we just tell people to keep going. I agree with you about not getting carried away.

Liz G.

Melissa said...

I was also turned off by the idea of the automatic check-out system. At places like the grocery store, I don't feel a particular need to have social contact. But a library is totally different to me! I love the "community of learners" atmosphere. There is something very social about it, even without much conversation. I know that checking out a book face to face is not a profound collaborative act, but it seems like just one step towards Red Box Books.