Friday, September 19, 2008

Week 5

I really enjoyed this week's readings, especially the youtube article!!! I think reaching out to patrons/students in this way is just the neatest idea!!! I know a librarian that read an article about youtube and had no idea what it even was, meanwhile the patrons that frequent her library are all college age... kudos to the universities that are up and on these new opportunities!!!

I also enjoyed reading about Imaging Pittsburgh. I liked being able to read more about the processes of working on a project like that, just to get a little break from all of the technical terminology!!!

I also found it interesting (from the Data Compression article) that things like pictures and audios are slightly altered, but thanks to the "limitations of the human sensory system" we don't even know! I must admit... the technology monster is shrinking a bit for me... this week was really neat!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely have to agree with you about the technology monster shrinking...I was surprised by how much I understood about data compression.
The youtube article kind of surprised me a little, I feel that it could be a great resource, but it makes me a little nervous that again we're taking one step away from users physically being in the library and another step toward letting the internet rule the world! Haha, maybe thats a bit dramatic, I do think it would be something interesting to look into, thats for sure.

Joy said...

I enjoyed the Imagine Pittsburgh article because it brought to life the idea of Metadata. Not working in a professional library setting, I haven't been exposed to much of the jargon and the use of it in the real world was helpful in firming up the ideas.